Registration and deadlines
Application deadline for GSAH (SINTA), studies starting in Fall semester: 31 July 2019
The deadline for Spring semester 2020 will be communicated later.
As a first step (1), please get in contact with the designated first and second supervisor (Universität Bern and HKB) with the following documents:
- Application letter with detailed reasons for the specific selection of the supervisor
- Project description: formulation of a question, theses, theory, methods, literature, preliminary work (max. 4 pages)
- Excerpt from a scientific work (e.g. seminar paper) or an article (3-4 pages)
- Transcript of Records and Diplomas of completed degrees
For applicants who do not have a subject-specific university Master's degree, the supervisors jointly propose the additional services to be provided (requirements of 30-60 ECTS) in the first year of the doctoral studies (e.g. introduction to the methodology of the subject, seminar papers, etc.). The individual requirements shall be recorded in writing.
(2) Register here for the doctorate online at the Admissions Office and print out the confirmation e-mail. (Select the "HUMANITIES doctorate” degree program and choose "Studies in the Arts") (see: Application deadlines).
- Applicants and supervisors discuss the project plan and possible additional requirements.
- Both supervisors write a commitment of supervision with recommendation of the applicant and define the additional requirements.
- Submission of the application dossier to the Admissions Office (ZIB).
- The Collegium Decanale (CD) controls and confirms admission and conditions.
(3) Please send the registration documents for GSAH resp. SINTA in one pdf document to the coordinator of GSAH, Dr. Michael Toggweiler: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application letter (max. 2 pages)
- Motivation for applying for admission to the GSAH/the SINTA doctoral program (max. one page)
- Information on the most important disciplines/arts
- Explanation of how the project can be stimulated through interdisciplinary exchange and what the applicant can contribute to it himself/herself
- Synopsis/Abstract in English (15-20 lines)
- Project description: Formulation of a question, theses, theory, method, literature, preliminary work (max. 4 pages), 5-10 theoretical-methodological terms, analysis categories, keywords for the dissertation project
- Information on integration into the research fields and clusters of the Hochschule der Künste (HKB) or the University of Bern (Universität Bern)
- Confirmation of matriculation and doctorate at the University of Bern (Universität Bern)
- Confirmation of care with recommendation of the first and second supervisors
- Doctoral agreement (can be submitted later [within 3 months])
- CV (max. 2 pages)
- Publication list (if available)